- 1 What are the 5 steps in solving word problems?
- 2 How did you solve the word problem?
- 3 How do you explain word problems in math?
- 4 What is the first thing to do in solving word problems?
- 5 What is the golden rule for solving equations?
- 6 What is the five step method?
- 7 Why do students struggle with word problems?
- 8 How do you teach equations to struggling students?
- 9 What is the 3 important things to remember in solving word?
- 10 How do you solve algebraic equations word problems?
- 11 What is a good strategy for being successful with word problems?
What are the 5 steps in solving word problems?
5 Steps to Word Problem Solving
- Identify the Problem. Begin by determining the scenario the problem wants you to solve.
- Gather Information. Create a table, list, graph or chart that outlines the information you know, and leave blanks for any information you don’t yet know.
- Create an Equation.
- Solve the Problem.
- Verify the Answer.
How did you solve the word problem?
Generally, solving a word problem involves four easy steps: Read through the problem and set up a word equation — that is, an equation that contains words as well as numbers. Plug in numbers in place of words wherever possible to set up a regular math equation. Use math to solve the equation.
How do you explain word problems in math?
An example problem -solving process is provided below:
- Read the problem, then reread it and highlight key words and numbers.
- Draw a picture of the situation that the problem presents.
- Determine the goal of the problem.
- Establish a strategy or write an equation to represent the picture.
What is the first thing to do in solving word problems?
The first step to solving a math word problem is to read the problem in its entirety to understand what you are being asked to solve. After you read it, you can decide the most relevant aspects of the problem that need to be solved and what aspects are not relevant to solving the problem.
What is the golden rule for solving equations?
Do unto one side of the equation, what you do to the other! An equation is like a balance scale. If we put something on, or take something off of one side, the scale (or equation ) is unbalanced. When solving math equations, we must always keep the ‘scale’ (or equation ) balanced so that both sides are ALWAYS equal.
What is the five step method?
The 5 – step method consists of (1) Listen, reassure, and explore concerns; (2) Provide relevant, specific, and targeted information; (3) Explore coping resources; (4) Discuss social support; and ( 5 ) Discuss and explore further needs (Copello, Templeton, et al., 2010a).
Why do students struggle with word problems?
Word problems tend to be complicated in part because of their descriptive language. Students often don’t understand what exactly they’re being asked, especially when the problem includes abstract concepts.
How do you teach equations to struggling students?
- Draw a line to separate the two sides of the equation.
- Do Undo Line – this is another strategy that can help students.
- Color-coding to help with combining like terms.
- Making sure to actually say (and make students say), “2 times x equals 5” as opposed to “2x = 5.”
What is the 3 important things to remember in solving word?
Read: Read the problem and decide what the question is asking. Read the problem 2 times or more. Underline or circle key words, phrases, and numbers. Draw a line through irrelevant information.
How do you solve algebraic equations word problems?
To solve an algebraic word problem:
- Define a variable.
- Write an equation using the variable.
- Solve the equation.
- If the variable is not the answer to the word problem, use the variable to calculate the answer.
What is a good strategy for being successful with word problems?
Here are the seven strategies I use to help students solve word problems.
- Read the Entire Word Problem.
- Think About the Word Problem.
- Write on the Word Problem.
- Draw a Simple Picture and Label It.
- Estimate the Answer Before Solving.
- Check Your Work When Done.
- Practice Word Problems Often.